How to Get a Maryland Birth Certificate
Requests for Maryland Birth Certificates may now be made on a walk-in basis in Prince George's County at the Office of Vital Records, Prince George's County Health Department in Landover, Maryland.
Who Can Request a Birth Certificate
You may obtain a Maryland Birth Certificate if you are a:
- Person and/or parent(s) whose name is on the Birth Certificate
- Grandparent or guardian with certified documents showing custody
- Person with a notarized letter of authorization from the requestor
For same day service, applicants are required to present valid, unexpired, government-issued photo identification that includes an expiration date. Applicants who are unable to supply this type of identification must present two different items from the following list. At least one of these documents must contain the applicant’s current mailing address. Applicants who cannot provide valid photo identification will not receive the birth certificate the same day. The certificate will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided.
- Pay stub
- Current vehicle registration form
- Bank statement
- Letter from a government agency requesting a vital record
- Lease/rental agreement
- Utility bill with current address
- Income tax return or W-2 form.
For Persons Born After 1940
Maryland Birth Certificates for persons born in the State of Maryland after 1940 are on file and available for pick-up in Landover, Maryland. There is a $25 fee per Certificate. Cash or money order, Credit or Debit Cards (Visa, Discover, MasterCard) are accepted as payment.
- A $2.50 service fee applies to Credit/Debit card transactions.
- Check or money order should be made payable to: Prince George’s County Health Department
Persons Born Prior to 1940
You may visit the Prince George's County Health Department, Office of Vital Records and fill out an Application for a Birth Certificate, which will be faxed to the Vital Records Office in Baltimore. There is a $24 fee per Certificate for this service. Cash or money order only accepted as payment.
Maryland State Archives
For information about how to request a Maryland Birth Certificate directly from the Maryland State Vital Records Office, go to: Maryland State Archives or call 410-764-3053. To correct or add a name call the Maryland State Vital Records Office at: 410-764-3067, 410-764-3069 or 410-764-3063.