Sec. 13A-101. Declaration of Policy
- The County Council of Prince George's County, Maryland is mandated by Section 908 of the County Charter to provide procedures for County employees to organize and bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing so that they may meaningfully participate in the formulation and implementation of personnel policies affecting their employment, and to provide procedures for resolving collective bargaining impasses involving protective service employees. In enacting this law, the County Council finds that joint decision making is the modern way of administering government and that where public employees have been granted the right to share in the decision-making process affecting wages and working conditions, they have become more responsive and better able to exchange ideas and information on operations with their administrators. Accordingly, government is made more effective.
- The County Council, therefore, declares that it is the public
policy of this County to promote harmonious and cooperative relations
between government and its employees and to protect the public by
assuring effective and orderly operations of government. These policies
are best effectuated by:
- Recognizing the right of public employees to organize for the purpose of collective bargaining;
- Providing a means by which employees may select units appropriate for effective dealings between their representatives and their employer;
- Requiring the employer to negotiate with and enter into written agreements with exclusive representatives on matters of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment, while at the same time;
- Recognizing merit principles consistent with the provisions of Article IX of the Charter; and
- Establishing a rational method for dealing with disputes and work stoppages.