- County Government
- County Executive
- Community Engagement
- Women’s History Month
- Gladys Noon Spellman Public Service Award
Gladys Noon Spellman Public Service Award Application
The Gladys Noon Spellman Award was established in 1986 as a lasting tribute to Congresswoman Spellman and her accomplishments during a long and outstanding career in public service. The award, which is presented during the County’s Women’s History Month Celebration (WHMC) Luncheon, is given annually to a woman in Prince George’s County Government whose career and dedication to the County closely parallel that of Congresswoman Spellman.
Gladys Noon Spellman was an educator in the Prince George’s County Public Schools System and president of the Prince George’s County Council of PTAs. She was the first woman elected to the Board of Commissioners of Prince George’s County. Additionally, she served in the highest capacity for County officials nationwide when she became the first woman elected president of the National Association of Counties.
In 1974, she was elected to the United States Congress where she was instrumental in sponsoring legislation to prevent discrimination based on marital status and prohibiting discrimination against the handicapped and elderly.
Each department or agency is encouraged to nominate a woman who embodies the essence of Congresswoman Spellman’s commitment to service and excellence. Nominees and the selected recipient will be recognized at the WHMC Luncheon on March 30, 2023. Applications must be submitted to the Women’s History Month Ceremony Committee by 5 p.m. on March 10, 2023, via email: email@example.com.
Nominee must meet the following criteria:
- Candidate must be a resident of Prince George’s County
- Candidate must be a Prince George’s County Government employee and should demonstrate steady career growth or progress
- Candidate must demonstrate significant community and/or volunteer service
- Candidate must possess strong leadership abilities and apply these to the betterment of Prince George’s County Government
Nominee’s application form must include the following:
- Narrative statement that expresses the candidate’s service and impact on the workplace and/or residents (200-250 words)
- Education and/or professional development
- Community/Volunteer/Professional Service activities (Include date of service/activity and example of your involvement)
- Awards (List name of award, year received, and presenting organization, please do not attach copies of awards)
- Other documents that may support your nomination, such as letters of commendation or recommendation, news clippings, photographs, etc.
2023 Gladys Noon Spellman Public Service Award Application Form (PDF)
Deadline: March 10, 2023, 5 pm
Submit to: Women's History Month Celebration Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Gladys Noon Spellman Public Service Award Nomination