Where do I file my complaint?
  • A complaint may be completed electronically on the PAB’s webpage. Please download or print a copy of your completed Complaint Form and email pgpab@co.pg.md.us.,
  • Fax to 301-883-2655, or 
  • Mail to 9200 Basil Court, Suite 406, Largo, Maryland 20774

 For assistance or to request that a complaint form be sent to you via mail or email, please call the PAB on 301-883-5042. 

Show All Answers

1. Who can file a complaint?
2. Can a complaint be filed anonymously?
3. Can I come in person to file a complaint?
4. What information must be included in the complaint?
5. Where do I file my complaint?
6. What happens to a complaint that is submitted to the PAB?
7. How do I withdraw a complaint?
8. Do you have to know the officer's badge or car number?
9. Can I file a complaint about an officer involved incident that I witnessed?
10. Do I need to know the exact address of where the incident took place?
11. Is there a limit to how many supporting documents I can send?
12. Do I attach original documents to support my complaint, or can it be a copy?