How can we have a "Children at Play" sign installed in our neighborhood to help protect our children?
Children should not be encouraged to play in or near the roadway. It is much more appropriate to educate children to respect a moving vehicle and how to be a safe pedestrian. The use of "Children at Play" sign does not provide an added degree of protection as it is originally intended.

This Department's longstanding policy is not to install "Children at Play" signs on County-maintained roadways as they tend to create a false sense of security for both parents and children. Studies have revealed that these signs when posted in residential areas show no evidence of having reduced pedestrian accidents or vehicle speeds. These signs failed to achieve the desired safety benefits.

On the contrary, the use of such signs could be interpreted as an endorsement by the County of the use of streets as play areas, thus creating an even more hazardous condition. Also, Federal and State signing regulations do not allow us to use the "Children at Play" signs since they are not considered as accepted and standard traffic control devices. We are allowed to post signs for schools, playgrounds, parks and other recreational facilities.

Show All Answers

1. How do we get multi-way stop signs installed on our roadway?
2. How can we have a "Children at Play" sign installed in our neighborhood to help protect our children?
3. Why can't we get a striped crosswalk since some people cross the roadway at this point?
4. How do I get a street light repaired or replaced?
5. I live in a new development. When will the street lights be installed?
6. How can I have new or improved lights installed on my street?
7. Criminal activity is occurring at night on my street. Can you help me?
8. People are running off the road and into my yard. Would a light help?
9. There are trees blocking the light near my house. Can they be trimmed?
10. How can I get one of those security lights like my neighbor has?
11. The light in front of my house shines in my window. How can I have this corrected?
12. I live in a townhouse development and the utility company tells me that they are not responsible for my street lights. How can I have a light fixed?