Can I open a food service facility in my home?

In most cases, zoning constraints and food regulations do not allow residential property to be used for the preparation and service of food for public consumption. However, there are a couple of exceptions:
• Preparation of “cottage foods” & their sale at farmers' markets and temporary events.
• Bed & Breakfast operation: defined as eight rooms or fewer for rent, is not required to have a food service permit if food is limited to only “continental breakfast.” Refer to COMAR,(b),(c).
Note: This also will require a single-family rental license for your home, which can be obtained from our website.

Show All Answers

1. How long will it take for a review of my plan submittal?
2. How soon can a preopening or a site installation inspection be scheduled?
3. What needs to be submitted for a plan review?
4. How do I submit drawings for the plan review?
5. How do I obtain a raze permit?
6. Can I open a food service facility in my home?