Why is my lender requiring the purchase of flood insurance?
For nearly every mortgage transaction in the United States that involves a structure, the lender reviews current National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) maps for the community in which the property is located. The NFIP map review is made to determine the location of the property in relation to the SFHA. If the lender determines that the structure is indeed located within the SFHA and the community is participating in the NFIP, the borrower is notified that flood insurance will be required as a condition of receiving a loan.

These lender requirements are set forth in the Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 and the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994. Stipulations of these legislative acts require the purchase of flood insurance by property owners who are being assisted by federal programs or by federally regulated institutions in the acquisition or improvement of land, or facilities, or structures located or to be located within an SFHA. For more information please visit our Flood Insurance page.

Show All Answers

1. My mortgage company informed me that I am in a designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). What is a SFHA?
2. Why is my lender requiring the purchase of flood insurance?
3. How can a property owner determine if the property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
4. What if I disagree with my lender's determination that I am in the flood zone?
5. Who can purchase a flood insurance policy?