- Use a licensed contractor trained in alarm system installation.
- Be sure the family and authorized users are trained in operating the alarm system. This training, along with instructional materials, should be provided by the licensed contractor installing your equipment.
- Implement and use a regular system maintenance schedule.
- Develop a verification process with your alarm service company.
- Have your system checked by a trained alarm technician when false alarms are generated.
Your Alarm System
The alarm system you choose should:
- Be Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) approved.
- Have a backup power or battery system that prevents activations in a power outage.
- Possess an automatic entry and exit delay system.
- Allow users to test the system internally for malfunctions.
- Have a surge protector to prevent power outages due to harsh weather conditions.
For more information call the Prince George's County False Alarm Unit at 301-883-5465.