Single-Stream Recycling - What Makes it Easy?
Call 311 from within Prince George’s County; 301-883-4748 calls from outside the county.
With single-stream recycling, all recyclable materials are placed in the same container. Singe-stream recycling provides county businesses with many benefits that include:
- Using compactors and bailers to consolidate recyclable materials
- Saving money on recycling and disposal fees
- Using only 1 container for commercial property owners’ recyclables
Contact your recycling vendor and processor to determine what materials generated by your business can be collected single-stream.
Recycling Plan and Report for Commercial, Industrial, Multi-Family and Businesses
In 2012, the County enacted CB-87, which is legislation addressing recycling for the licensees and/or owners of all multifamily rental facilities and condominiums as well as commercial and industrial properties. Under this law, all owners of multifamily, commercial and industrial properties are to provide the opportunity for the voluntary separation of designated recyclable materials.
Fast forward to 2018, with the passage of CB-12-2018, the recycling program expands to include business entities, as well as additional requirements for commercial and industrial properties.
If you are among the categories listed below, please visit the Forms and Instructions page to complete the annual report:
- an individual Business Entity (an individual who does not own the property but leases/rents space to operate a business), or
- a Commercial or Industrial Property Owner (this means you own the land and the structures that sit on), or
- a Licensee and/or Owner of a Multi-Family Rental Facility or Condominium.
New Mandatory Business Recycling Requirements Begin July 1, 2019
County Legislation (CB-12-2018) states that all Prince George’s County business owners, tenants, or operators of commercial and industrial properties, including but not limited to offices, stores, hotels, motels, gas stations, restaurants, factories, processing plants, and manufacturing enterprises, shall provide at least equally sized and equally convenient recycling containers to accompany each trash container on the interior and exterior of the property, including along storefronts.
For more information, contact the Department of the Environment, Recycling Section, Inspection Unit at 301-883-3635.
If you don't already have one, establish a recycling program at your business or multi-tenant facility. Setting up a program is easy and we can help!
If you already have a recycling program, submit a copy of your Maryland Recycling Act (MRA) Recycling Tonnage Report to the Department of the Environment Recycling Section. Your recycling hauler may also submit the report on your behalf with your business/property name and address listed on the report.
Recycling is Good Business: Make it Your Business!
Businesses play an important role in Prince George's County's Recycling Program. Approximately one-half of the county's solid waste stream is produced by the business sector. Businesses also account for 2/3 of the county's current recycling rate.
All businesses can recycle. The Department of the Environment Recycling Section will assist your business in implementing a successful recycling program.
- Obtain the support of the executive management
- Appoint a coordinator and program monitors to plan and implement the program.
- Determine the number of people participating and the types and amounts of recyclables generated.
- Discuss the program with local recyclers, and seek quotes from recycling haulers.
- Develop an efficient collection system.
- Educate all employees.
- Purchase items that can be recycled or reused.
- Publicize the success of the program. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Call PGC311 for more information.