Temporary Restaurant Outdoor Seating

Restaurant Temporary Outdoor Seating Area (RTOSA)Restaurant Outdoor Seating

Prince George’s County has created a multi-agency workgroup to assist restaurants with reopening and is expediting necessary approvals and permits for temporary outdoor table service.

If a restaurant already has approval in place for outdoor table service, they do not need to seek further approvals unless they wish to expand beyond existing parameters.

How to Seek Approval for Outdoor Table Service

The modified Phase I Prince George’s County reopening plan allows qualified restaurants to reopen on June 1, 2020, with outdoor seating with a Restaurant Temporary Outdoor Seating Area (RTOSA) Permit. Tables are required to be spaced six feet apart and the seating area must be separated from the sidewalk or street by a three-foot barrier. Wheelchair access and restroom facilities must be provided.

Step 1: Complete Required Documents

Restaurants and bars must complete an application along with all relevant documents below.

  • Application
  • A brief description of your restaurant
  • A copy of your current Use and Occupancy Permit (U&O). If you have a U&O that allows you to have restaurant outdoor seating, you don’t need the RTOSA Permit.
  • A seating chart of the outdoor area – including chairs, tables, open tents, and barriers. Canopies, awnings, and enclosed tents are not allowed for the RTOSA Permit. To use canopies, awnings, or enclosed tents in the outdoor seating area, an Application from the Building Permit/U&O menu must be completed and submitted. Indicate the number and dimensions of all canopies/awnings/enclosed tents that will be used on the property in the "Work Description" section of the Application. If enclosed tents are used, the manufacturer’s flame retardation specifications/certification are also required.Seating Samples Illustration Boxed
  • A letter from your landlord granting permission, (Letter of Authorization) including the following requirements:
    • Letter should be written on owner’s letterhead indicating the property address, owner’s name (according to SDAT), tenant’s name, tenant’s business name and the type (use) of business that the owner is authorizing to use the space.
    • The letter of authorization has to be signed and dated by the owner.
    • If the owner of the property is a business entity (i.e. LLC) the owner must include the entity’s name, and the letter must be signed by the authorized member of the entity. Articles of Organization or Incorporation may be required for verification of ownership. The tenant’s and owner’s businesses must be registered and In good standing with the State of Maryland.
  • If seating is proposed in a right-of-way controlled by the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) or a municipality, approval from that entity is also required. If you currently have a valid liquor license, submit a letter requesting DPIE to forward your RTOSA Permit application to the Liquor Board to determine if alcoholic beverage sales will be allowed in the outdoor seating area.
  • Optional: A copy of your restaurant’s site plan
  • The customer will be directed to download the JobCard and related, approved plans, then dial 301-883-5390 or schedule an inspection when work is completed.

Step 2: Upload Seating Plan Online

Once your application is reviewed. You will receive an email invitation to upload your seating plan to the online portal, you will be asked to create an account. If you already have an account, please use your existing username and password.

Apply Now


Contact DPIE Permit Supervisor Clarence Moseley at cemoseley@co.pg.md.us or 301-883-5913 for information or assistance.

Additional Resources